Thursday, July 5, 2007

Stares

Ye reap what ye sow.

Weeks ago, when I started the madness of going out on training runs overdressed, I thought that I saw a few people looking at me with odd expressions on their faces. Now I know that they were, in fact, staring at a certifiable madman in motion.

This was confirmed both yesterday and today as the temperatures crested the 90 degree mark. For some of you who reside in warmer climes, these digits on the thermometer don't mean a whole lot to you. But for us Oregonians, temperatures north of ninety are elusive, typically only falling on a few precious days in July and August. And any time they do, as the A/C's get cranked up and residents plow headfirst into summer mode (read: bad tank tops and all manner of inappropriate skimpy clothing), a guy running around the neighborhood in tights, long sleeve shirts, and a black hat must simply spell trouble.

As I passed a long line of cars waiting at a stoplight this afternoon, I saw the wide-eyed wonder and incredulity on their faces as they stared, wondering why in the world this idiot was dressed so...well, inappropriately. The absurdity of it all made me smile broadly despite the intense heat and sweat that stung my eyes. I laughed at them as much as I laughed at myself. After all, if I can't laugh at myself, what's the point? If it ain't fun, said some wise sage of yore, why do it? And somehow...despite the huge loads of laundry, despite all of that sweat stinging my eyes, and despite the heat that I'm about to face in just over 2 weeks, it's all a LOT of fun.

Good news today from my p.r. efforts, done primarily to benefit Soles4Souls awareness and fundraising: The local CBS television affiliate wants to film me and do a story next week about Badwater and my efforts on behalf of Soles4Souls. I'm very excited about that, believing that the words of P.T. Barnum ("All publicity is good publicity") will be prophetic. Thanks, as always, for your support.

2 comments:

Olga said...

What's wrong with skimpy stuff? :)
I think I am scared of this part of BW prep more than BW itself, stupid me. But then again, I am a woman of high dependance on people's opinion...if I can only focus on those I care for. Go, Greg! It's practically taper time!

Unknown said...

Greg, the world would be a much less interesting place without your exploits!

I thought of you when I was in Idaho last week, and it was around 106.

I wish I could see you running in a Parka tomorrow..Tell CBS I've got the rights to the tv show.

Sue